Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Alison's Hamlet Post

Sex and Violence

When I read this play I thought wow Gertrude and Ophelia really do not get treated like they should be. These two women were both abused by Hamlet. In the book Hamlet went crazy and yelled and hit both Ophelia and his mother Gertrude. Ophelia and Gertrude were both offended by Hamlet; because Hamlet accused Gertrude of having his father killed. Even though he should not be accusing her for anything because she did nothing wrong. I feel as if Gertrude married this guy because maybe she was threatened by him, or either she just was greedy and wanted to stay Queen. In my opinion I personally think that there is a little love between these too much not much. Ophelia on the other hand in my opinion is miss treated. Hamlet yells at her and throws her against walls.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I think you're right to question Shakespeare's portrayal of women (both Ophelia and Gertrude to seem to be roundly abused)

    ReplyDelete